Monday, May 9, 2011

Love Measures

"Then do we still need our soul mate? Oh, yes, I say, because this is the bed through which the river of our life flows from another transcendental reality, this is the infinite on which the horizon of our heart rests in other dreams or transcendental realities." ~ Sorin Cerin

"The measure of love is love without measure." ~ Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

"In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities." ~ Janos Arnay

"Each moment of a happy lover's hour is worth an age of dull and common life." ~ Aphra Behn

"Make me immortal with a kiss." ~ Christopher Marlowe

"Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice. Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart." ~ Robert Sexton

"Acting on your heart's instructions means abandoning all those careful strategies for avoiding rejection and bolting toward the fertile, gorgeous jungle of human imagination and possibility." ~ Martha Beck

"Any real ecstasy is a sign you are moving in the right direction." ~ St. Teresa of Avila

"Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly." ~ Rose Franken

"The new moon stirs pangs of love." ~ Vidyapati

"The lips of the one I love are my perpetual pleasure..." ~ Hafiz

"Eros seizes and shakes my very soul
like the wind on the mountain
shaking ancient oaks." ~ Sappho

"Over the sky's hot rim,
The day's last breath in our sails.
Pinned by the sun between solstice
and equinox, drowsy and tangled together." ~ Pablo Neruda

"The deeper that sorrow carves
into your being, the more joy
you can contain." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"How can I keep my soul in me, so that it doesn't touch your soul?
How can I raise it high enough, past you, to other things?
I would like to shelter it, among remote lost objects,
in some dark and silent place that doesn't resonate
when our depths resound." ~ Rainer Maria Rilke

Love is an infinite sky! ~ Osho

STRAWBERRIES

There were never strawberries
like the ones we had
that sultry afternoon
sitting on the step
of the open French window
facing each other
your knees held in mine
the blue plates in our laps
the strawberries glistening
in the hot sunlight
we dipped them in sugar
looking at each other
not hurrying the feast
for one to come
the empty plates
laid on the stone together
with the two forks crossed
and I bent towards you
sweet in that air
in my arms
abandoned like a child
from your eager mouth
the taste of strawberries
in my memory
lean back again
let me love you
let the sun beat
on our forgetfulness
one hour of all
the heat intense

and summer lightning
on the Kilpatrick hills

let the storm wash the plates

~ Edwin Morgan

No comments: