Saturday, August 14, 2010

Anaïs Nin

Anaïs Nin beams me on.

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."

“Do not seek the because - in love there is no because, no reason, no explanation, no solutions.”

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."

"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman."

"Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death."

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."

"Anxiety is love's greatest killer. It makes others feel as you might when a drowning man holds on to you. You want to save him, but you know he will strangle you with his panic."

"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to
replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It
dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of
tarnishings."

"Our life is composed greatly from dreams, from the unconscious, and they must be brought into connection with action. They must be woven together."

The personal, if it is deep enough, becomes universal, mythical, symbolic.

I walk ahead of myself in perpetual expectancy of miracles.

“I have heard the beast pound
in the breath of a bird...
and felt in its feathers the fire.
I have hated with passion
the gathering herd
and the weight of its common desire.
Ah, but no rest for weary terrestrial wings
in beating oppressive air;
they long for the strength
of celestial things
like the essence of myrrh in her hair.”

No comments: